Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Today was another learning experience....not that I wanted to learn all of this stuff but I do not have a choice.         I had my picc cleaned and then she had to take blood for me to take to the lab.  This was the first time that I had blood taken from my picc.  When they stick a needle in you the vile is attached to the needle and they just keep changing the viles until they have filled enough of them.  Well with the picc they suck out the blood and then attach a needle to the plunger that is full of blood and then stick that needle into the vile.  The vile is supposed to be vacuum sealed so when you stick the needle in, it is supposed to suck the blood into the vile.  Of course mine didn't work so she had to push the plunger to push it in which was the first sign that something was wrong.  Once she got enough in the first vile, she pulled out the needle and blood sprayed everywhere.  We couldn't help but laugh.  She said it was like she had a massacre in the room.  The second vile did the same thing but the third one was ok.  I had blood all over my hand and arm in the end.  It was all over the chair, table and floor.  I then took the viles to the lab and guess what...one of the viles that the chemo nurse gave me to use was wrong so again the lab has to get 3 tests out of 2 viles.  The lab gave me the correct viles for next time.  Next time is hopefully the last time so maybe we will get it right, and uneventful next time.
I met a lady today that lost all of her hair...not through chemo .... when she was 45.  She has to wear a wig all of the time.  We were talking about chemo hats and I happened to have some with me that Mom had made so I gave her one.  She was very appreciative.
I plan to go rollerblading on the bike trails tomorrow with Judy.  Hopefully we have good weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment