Monday, March 4, 2013

This is the article that they will be putting in the Ottawa Outdoor Magazine:


By TRACEY TONG

She competes in triathlon, runs, hikes, kayaks, cycles, curls and has even been swimming with stingrays. Jan VandenTillaart is a bundle of energy and a picture of health.

Imagine her shock when, in January 2012, the 53-year-old was diagnosed with endometrial cancer.

“It was so frustrating to have done everything right over the years and still end up with cancer. At every single appointment I went to, they said, “other than the cancer, you are very, very healthy.’ It ended up helping me, because they said they could give me all the chemo and radiation I could handle.”

Following a hysterectomy, VandenTillaart underwent six rounds of chemotherapy and twenty-five radiation treatments at The Ottawa Hospital, during which she continued to embrace life, whether it was fulfilling a lifelong dream to go jet-skiing with her son, or planning a trip to Las Vegas. “I was determined not to let cancer beat me,” she recalled. “I forced myself through the aches and pains to triumph at the finish line.”

Now cancer-free, VandenTillaart credits “a positive attitude and setting goals” for her speedy recovery.

Coincidentally, VandenTillaart found her latest goal at The Ottawa Hospital, the same place she’d received her cancer treatment. On September 7, VandenTillaart will Ride the Rideau in support of cancer research at The Ottawa Hospital. The Ottawa-to-Merrickville bike tour, with 100 km and 50 km options, is entering its fourth year in 2013 and has raised more than $4.4 million.

VandenTillaart has already exceeded her goal of raising $1,500 for cancer research by knitting scarves and bags in exchange for donations to her fundraising. “It’s a great cause,” said VandenTillaart. “I want to raise money for research that will help others.”

Ironically, the general accountant said cancer has made her a better person.

“I have learned to slow down and take in the beautiful things around me in the world that I used to ignore because I was too busy,” she said. “Hopefully I can spread this positive energy to others so that they too can begin to enjoy life like I have.”

Box

The fourth edition of Ride the Rideau will be held on Saturday, September 7
To register to ride, sign up to volunteer or to sponsor a rider, visit www.ridetherideau.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment